Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gravel, Shovel, Rake, Sweat

We are tired of having a weed garden in our backyard, so we decided to turn it into the kids play area. We had 6 yards of washed pea gravel delivered to our house on Tuesday morning at 9. I spent the morning shoveling, & raking to get it spread out over our garden area (oh except the strawberries where left outside the gravel area b/c they produce some sweet berries). Several blisters, lots of sweat and a sore back later I had most of it done by 11am. Jada was my great encourager. She started out with a shovel of her own, but one scoop later it was "oh that is too heavy for me". So Jada followed me around all morning saying "good job Mommy!" "you are doing really good Mommy" Several times I just had to stop, chuckle and give her a kiss. (It made me think of the times my Mom would work in her garden and I would grab my lawn chair and just sit and watch her) She kept me going. She also is my photographer! She was busy taking many pictures of the morning. Here are a few...
I used the wagon at the very beginning. I would fill the wagon and then dump it at the farthest end of the garden area, since I couldnt throw the gravel that far with the shovel. It was a great system.
And all finished. The trampoline and the swing set both fit in there. The kids are enjoying it. I am going to enjoy having my grass grow back and no weeds to pick (except around the strawberries)

1 comment:

Colleen said...

WOW - That is AWESOME!! I was just mourning our grass this morning - since we put the playstructure in, it is totally dying! This gravel looks like the perfect answer!! I can't wait to come play and try it out! :o)